Friday, March 30, 2012

Playing Catch-up: Doctors aren't legally allowed to date their patients?

Would I trust a doctor who saw his or her patients as prospective sexual partners? Heck no! Which makes this one of the moments where you sort of have to set assumptions aside.

I was actually surprised by the way which this one went; I expected it to be a clear-cut answer, but as it turns out provisions against doctors dating patients is kind of a grey area relegated to the realm of professional standards and guidelines. I guess not many people, doctors hopefully being the exception, actually think about these moral issues coming down to a matter of being a member of a professional organization.

I started with the fact that I knew that the Hippocratic Oath included a line about sexual relationships with patients. Of course, this isn't exactly a binding document in today's day and age, but the AMA's page on the Hippocratic Oath led me to modern resources on the topic.

Here's the link to the question


No comments:

Post a Comment